Wednesday, August 11, 2010

2010 a great summer for the cottage

First, thanks to the many readers who have been asking about updates and checking in from time to time. Thanks to you we're getting this blog back on track.

We left off last summer just after the flooring in the main room was installed.

I continued to work my way through the bedrooms in the fall and just finished the last bedroom last month. We're very happy with the result. I just have to find flooring solution for the closets, one of which has the trap door to the basement where we can't use laminate. We now have beds for six people, thanks to Helene for the bunk bed with the double bed on the bottom.  We're also debating what flooring to install in the screened porch. We think cushion floor is the right choice but the seams in the plywood floor might require a sub floor and floor leveller for that option. But we need something easy to sweep and clean that will also resist water.

Here's a look at the three bedrooms with the flooring installed:




This has been a great year for the cottage in many ways. The bugs were not nearly as bad as last year. And the early spring and heat wave of early July has meant that the water has been warm for swimming.

Our first overnight visit of the year was the May long weekend. Greg and Laura accompanied us.We boated to a nearby island and some of us found the water bearable enough for swimming. Since then we have been swimming many times.

A first time visitor this year was our niece Melissa. My brother Mark, Melissa and Laura and I spent a couple of very nice days together in mid July. Melissa had her first experience kayaking and paddled all the way to the peninsula!

The other main project this year has been the construction of the "water tower". The plan is to acquire a Honda gas powered water pump, fill the raised rain barrel, and let gravity do the work to supply water to the toilet and sinks inside. This will mean no more hauling buckets for the toilet. It's good exercise, but not that much fun. And it leaves users feeling guilty about using the toilet.




The tower, made of posts from cedar trees, is adjacent to the cottage and supports a 220 litre barrel which sits just under the eaves. This way it will also collect rainwater off the roof, reducing the need to run the gas pump. I am not sure this height will be enough to provide the pressure needed. If it isn't, I'll have to build a higher platform and forgo the collection of rainwater off the roof.   Last weekend, while Tom and Joy were up, we attempted a test by hauling buckets of water up the ladder to pour into the rain barrel. We found the connections leaked both outside and inside the basement where I had connected the hose and pipe. I guess that's why you do a test.

We had a really nice weekend with Tom and Joy. They were able to get out in their tandem kayak several times, including Saturday evening when the lake was calm and clear. This was a major improvement over their visit last year when the weather kept us from more than a single cursory paddle. We also played games, had campfires, and ate a lot of good food. Tom and I chopped a good pile of wood and everyone helped Laura stack it under the porch. Oh, yes, we also had a few beers. It was an awesome weekend.


Tom hard at work

Joy and Laura 

On Monday I returned to Home Depot where I had been assured I had everything I needed to make the water system work properly. I explained to a different sales representative in plumbing, Christoff, what I was attempting to do. Before I could finish explaining he exclaimed "what you are doing is wrong" in his heavy accent, reminiscent of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. I asked him to let me finish explaining what I had done and what parts I used, which only prompted a more assertive "whatever you are doing is wrong!" He then showed me some different fittings and explained what specialized tools I would have needed to follow the instructions I had been given by his colleague last week.


Tomorrow, I'm headed up with Tim, who first brought me to the lake in 1996 (see the post about the history of July 2008).

I'll try Christoff's advice and let you know how the water system works out.

No comments: