Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mother Nature Sings Roll Out the Barrel...

..and I never liked that song.


The next trip to the cottage followed a huge rainstorm and pulling into the lot I could see the rain barrel wasn't on the tower where it should be. Like a pop can crushed by the heel of mother nature, it lay on the ground, severely dented on two sides. About 10 metres away we found the lid. Evidently, the weight of the rain collecting in the barrel sheared the screws holding the platform to one of the posts.  Then I remembered that when I built the platform I only had deck screws and I had made a mental note that before filling the barrrel, I would have to reinforce the platform with strong bolts. Well, it seems I missplaced that mental note. But now I found it!

At times like this Barb is very happy with my decision to NOT build the cottage myself

So we spent a good part of the day first trying to return the barrel to its normal shape and then rebuilding the platform, this time with stronger screws. I also connected the toilet using a flex hose, and installed a shut off valve where the intake hose enters the house. Barb also replaced a screen on the basement window.  The week before a mouse chewed through the vinyl screen. Tim and I removed the beast from the cottage.  I read that mice can't chew through aluminum screen so that's we used. All this was a hard day's work so not much relaxation on this visit.

Here's the rebuilt tower....

No comments: