Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Dear Cottage

Dear Cottage,

I'll try to keep this short, but I make no promises.

It was a long and miserable winter in 2008 when I took up a pencil and filled many afternoons imagining and sketching what you would look like. We had chosen your spot a year earlier. It wasn't a hard choice.  Even though there were 19 lots to pick from, none matched lot 30 for accessibility and privacy. Unusually level, this acre and a half of forest had a short, gentle slope down to the shore.  Nestled in a bay with nothing but crown land in sight, it seemed perfect, and it was.

They struggled mightily to get you to the lake and onto your foundation in November 2008 as wet snow made the ground a slippery, muddy mess.

It's been said that I needed a project at the time. Looking back, I have to agree. You filled that need nicely for many years and brought us so much more:  a peaceful retreat from chaos, a place to think, to appreciate the wonders of nature, a perfect setting to play music and most importantly, joy with family and friends. Thank you.

So why are we parting now? It's complicated. As often happens, the current has drifted us along a little faster than expected. Different projects are calling. Rest assured that your new owners treasure you at least as much as we did, and if it's possible, perhaps even more. They bring excitement to their new responsibilities and a deep passion for your wild surroundings. So while we carry forward wonderful memories to cherish, I know your walls will continue to echo much laughter and reflect the warmth of family.

I'll close  with an excerpt from a song by Neil Young I heard on one of my last trips to the lake. It was about a car he loved, but the spirit of the song seems apropos as we bid farewell.

"We've been through some things together
With trunks of memories still to come
We found things to do in stormy weather
Long may you run

Long may you run
Long may you run
Although these changes have come..."



  
(This is the last post. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed reading here as much as I enjoyed writing.)

No comments: